Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Orientation

Hi....I'm in D.C, living it up with 40 trainees. 32 chicas and 8 dudes...not quite balanced, but there are a lot of wonderful and inspiring people headed to Zambia and things are going well so far. I have had a day and a half of safety instruction and intro to Peace Corps work. We will be getting shots and vaccinations tomorrow and will have a 14 hour flight to Johannasburg, where we will be for the night. I arrive in Zambia the following day where I will have in country orientation and then visit second year volunteers. Following that we will be placed with host families and start language and skills training. I will be learning either Bemba (spoken in the north and Copper Belt), Lunda (South West), or Nyanja (near Lusaka (capitol) and central). Sometime at the end of March, I will be sent to my own village after passing proficiency tests (they want to make sure we are qualified and prepared to be on our own). I will not be able to update often, but I will try my best. Peace Corps also has guidelines about the information I give out, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me or my mom. Above being a bit overwhelmed with all of this information, I am ecstatic to get to Africa and I am feeling all of your love and prayers. Thank you for everything!!! All the love...lisa

5 comments:

soccatrix said...

I love you sister! Be strong, enjoy those shots...I can't wait to talk to you.

AP said...

This is my very first time leaving a blog comment. Now we can email, text, phone, blog, or any variation of the aforementioned. But can you wrap a rubber band around your blog and save it in your treasure chest!

So, my dear niece, I now know that when I am thinking of you, you are sleeping; and when I am dreaming of you, you are hard at work. At least the work will be accompanied by wonder. Your African family and friends will be no less fortunate than you are for your efforts. God bless you. Love AP

PARKERS said...

Hey Lisa- It's Mer!

Sorry I wasn't able to come to your dinner- I really wanted to but I was out of town. I hope you are doing well, I will check your blog and try and keep updated with ya! Take care of yourself, and talk to you later!

Crystal said...

I miss you already!!! I'm so glad I got to see you over the weekend!!!

Lisa Sekulich said...

You are my heart.
mom