Sunday, March 25, 2007

Helloooo
I just have a moment to tell y'all whats up in Zambia. Training is wrapping up and we have less than a week until we are posted in the village. Last night we had a huge gathering to thank our host families, this is what I wrote in my journal...
not sure how pablo and I (of all people....everybody knows I can't cook) were put in charge of food, but 7 hours, and 100 hand made tortillas later we had a feast for our absolutely fabulous Zamilies. The evening was incredible. The families arrived crammed in the back of flat bed trucks and land cruisers and were singing upon arrival. We could hear them all the way down the bumpy dirt road to the training center. They were dressed to the max: bamayo's in their finest chetenge suits (beautiful colored fabric that local taylors make into just about anything) and batatas in suit jackets and trowsers. There was so much energy, love, humble pride, and genuine excitment in our tent overlooking the african plains. They are just too much...they love us dearley and are so good to us, you can see it in their eyes. The way they look at us, the care in their touch and the light of their smiles. At the end of our program, they presented US with gifts. They lined up by village (our group is spread through 8 or so villages near Chongway) and danced and sang traditional songs to present their offerings. It was really emotional for me. The pride and love with which each family gave their gifts and hugged each one of us SO TIGHTLY hit my heart like a spear. This merge of culture is so beautiful. The families were radiant, I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. I just kept thinking how lucky I was to be witnessing this, to be a part of it. To have entered this place, this world, the lives of these remarkable people. Africa is cool man. I love the dancing and singing, it is such a huge part of the culture. The sounds of Africa are pure elation. I love it.
Bamayo gave me a nshima pot and stirring stick so I can make it in my village, AND the last week she traveled to Lusaka to have a chetenge suit made for me to wear last night...it is GORGEOUS...bright yellow. The taylors here are INCREDIBLE...you merely tell them what you want, skirt, dress, pants, they measure you and 1-2 days and 5 bucks later sha BAM...new wardrobe. She was so happy to see me wear it. I will try to put a picture up, but my camera got wet while visiting a waterfall up No. (rough life, i know) and now won't work...blast!
Ahhh I am really sad to leave my family. But such is life. I am excited to start my service in the village. I have my final language and tech tests next week and If I pass will be sworn in as an "official" volunteer on Friday. Yeah no more trainee status! We'll see if I can manage to give Hiv prevention advice in Bemba by tuesday!! Mufwile ukubombfya umupila....(you must use condoms...). Just a quick thank you to everyone who has written me, you have no idea how much mail means here...and will be even more important when I get to the village. Thank you for all the birthday wishes and the packages...(mom you're the best, and lins and anita, katie b and peter...) and letters (joe and g-rents, ash, my kenya girls, kathy, AP, suz, mark, paul, ...) Sorry if i forgot anyone, I want to you guys to know that I got what you sent...I PROMISE I will always write back, it may take a while (zam post...), but i will. Your love keeps me strong! Until next time.... nalimutemwa sana! (i really love you...) -lisa

1 comment:

Sarah Malone said...

Lisa - thanks so much for your entry about the end of training celebration. I did a "google" on Congway to learn more about it as my son, Kevin, is a PCT there right now. He is due to start service in NW province in mid August as a LIFE project volunteer. Your description moved me greatly. Thank you so much and I hope you are well and having a successful PC experience. Sincerely, Sarah Malone (Kevin's mom)