Saturday, March 10, 2007

My New Village!

We traveled to the villages we will be assigned to this week and I LOVE mine. When I arrived, the entire village(my village is Mwamba) was waiting and sang a song to me, saying that they had been waiting. They were screaming with excitement when they found I was also Catholic as they have a church near by. I have a beautiful 2 room mud hut with a thatched roof, perched atop a small hill and can see another hill nearby. This is rare and I am very lucky as many have huts that are surrounded by bush. My health center is very close and I will be supporting 7 other villages in the area. The village is completely immersed in bush so you need a map to treck along the rustic paths from home to home so you never see an actualy "town type village" They have outdoor kitchens, bath spots and places for "natures call." We could only stay in the village for 45 min and then moved on. I will love it and the people here! I also had my first snake experience. A baby cobra slithered by our door and was taken care of. Then the landcruiser we travel in ran over a huge snake ..eek!! I am handling it ok though, considering my extreme phobia. I found out my dear friends (doing service projects in Kenya) are coming to see me soon and CAN'T WAIT! Please keep in touch and send any correspondence to my new address which is Lisa Sekulich/PCV C/O Peace Corps P.O. Box 410374 Kasama, Zambia. Lisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa!
I have written you many times- but it has never gone! Anyways- everything sounds so amazing! I am so excited for you and for this opportunity! Jon says hello! Things here are so busy! That is life though! I can't wait to see some pictures of the village and the hut that you are living in! you are in our prayers and we love you- Happy Birthday by the way! Mech

Lizbot said...

Little Lisa!!!
We totes miss you in Seattle. I am glad to hear you are having such an amazing time.....it's great to read all of your fun experiences!! Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!
Love and Kisses

lbg said...

Lisa!!

We are here in Nairobi, and we feel so incredibly blessed to be on the same continent as you, and then to have the means (financial) to visit you...how we were given this lot, I do not know, but I will take it and hold it in my hand until I realize I cannot understand how or why, but simply bow to the greater power in thanks...we will see you in April, with birthday gifts in hand (I just couldn't send it today! DHL won't deliver to a PO Box, go figure...I've brought this so called present to Nairobi twice and failed you twice...hopefully you are feeling the love sent on the wind that brushes us in the african sunset). Which makes me want to discuss with you the beauty of a light-free night sky, where Venus sets just after the sun in the west, and the Milky way is visibly for the nights that the moon is not. Wonderous is our Earth.
I too had an encounter with a snake, my favorite, the black mamba..of course I got all excited, the total opposite reaction to yours(and weird, even in my opinion...who do I think I am, Cleopatra? geez, Lor). Such is life in bush, eh? I love you dearly. We are all so proud of you, from Kenya to Seattle to Salt Lake to Boston. xoxo, Lis, you are beautiful.