Friday, March 2, 2007

February Update from Lisa

Lisa asked me to post portions of a long letter so this may sound a little choppy but here goes:
The staple here is Nshima which is ground maize mixed with water and it looks like cream of wheat in a solid clump and is mainly a filler. 100% carbs. Zambians eat it every meal with a relish (usually made of soya bits which is spongy soy chunks, oil, and tomato). There are a few types of Nshima; breakfast has been highly refined and stripped of all nutrients to turn it white. Because it is so refined, it is more expensive and white and therefore preferred. There are a lot of tomatoes which I LOVE...and they eat raper which is a green leafy vegetable like spinach, but thicker and more bitter. They don't eat a lot of meat. They will kill a chicken or pig for visitors or a special occasion but will NEVER kill a cow unless it is sick.
I learned a lot about what type of work I'll be doing. I will go to a clinic for various reasons...under 5 clinic which is where mothers bring their kids under 5 to weigh to make sure they are healthy and also meeting with health groups. The health care system here is being decentralized so there are a series of groups that start at the community level (NHG..neighborhood health committees..volunteers) and go all the way up the chain to the Ministry of Health in Lusaka. My job is to form NGC's for the villages I will be working with, and motivate them to organize projects, attend meetings, and be a link to committees up the chain. It is a bit complicated and has many challenges but I am super stoked for the task. I will also have various other projects...women's groups, work at the village school, basically whatever I think would benefit the community. The key is to strengthen and form community committees that will remain strong and functioning when I leave.
Below are some interesting facts:
Men often hold hands walking down the street--
All food is eaten by hand, no silverware--
Everything is done with the right hand ( as if lefties aren't persecuted enough :)
Thighs are very sensual and are never exposed but breasts are merely to feed children and often showing
Big pieces of dyed and designed cloth called citengues ( c makes a ch sound) are used for everything such as wrap around skirts, belts, head wraps, towels, washcloths, drapes, baby carriers, seat covers, etc.
I have been running (aka road running) with my brother twice and both times we've had packs of people (school children, girls in skirts and bare feet, random Zambian dudes) following behind. It's nuts...the kids barely break a sweat. I love hearing your comments and getting your letters so please keep in touch! Love Lisa

3 comments:

AP said...

Sounds like you could use a little of that Karo syrup to go with your mush. In every new posting I can see that your new home is growing on you and I sure am enjoying getting the up-close and personal experience through you. Sounds like the people are warm and friendly--do they know or care much about Western culture? Love, AP

bigosaballer said...

I love you Lisa Mary. Yea, answer AP's question, I'd like to know too. Those interesting facts were cool, any idea why they only use their right hands for things, or where that comes from?

Linsey said...

love you Lisa Mary. Yea, answer AP's question, I'd like to know too. Those interesting facts were cool, any idea why they only use their right hands for things, or where that comes from?